Police History

History of the Stonycreek Township Police Department

The Stonycreek Township Police Department was started in 1926, chiefly to control speeding on the old Bedford Pike on a part-time basis. It was not until January of 1929 that a full time policeman was appointed, Mr. Norman C. Klahr was appointed as a "special policeman", as well as being the Township Road Foreman. Klahr was paid fifty cents per hour while on duty, with his major responsibility being policing traffic.That same year, the traffic signal was installed at the intersection of Penrod Street and Bedford Pike (now Bedford Street). Still today, there is only one traffic light in the entire Township.

The new municipal building was completed on July 07, 1960, and is located at 1610 Bedford Street. This building is still in use today as the government center of the Township as well as housing the Police and Highway Departments. The Township treasurer and Tax Collector maintains an office in the building, and the rear portion of the building had been leased to Central Tax Bureau of Pennsylvania, a Tax Collection Agency. Since the closing of that office the Township Commissioners have taken over that portion of the building and have given the police department their former meeting room, the secretary's old office and the Tax Collector's office old office so the police department could expand their offices.  Prior to the leasing of the rear portion of the building by Central Tax Bureau, this space was leased by the County of Cambria and housed the Offices of then District Justice Julia Ann Rozum for many years.

*  In memory of the following members of the Stonycreek Township Police Department whom are deceased, but not forgotten :

Chief Harry B. Shaffer

Officer Otis Mickle

Officer James Havener

Officer John G. Melleky

Chief Thomas C. Thompson

Chief Frank R. Gore

K-9 "Dutchess"  (handler: Officer T.C. Ruckser)

K-9 "Count"   (handler:  Officer Dana Baumbaugh )